Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Mary Alice Fisher's Meatloaf

I am starting this off as a tribute of sorts to my "mother-in-law" (Quotes because I am not legally allowed to marry... yet... Rant over) Mary Alice passed away on March 7th 2013 and used to have some great recipes. Sadly, a lot of them were never written down, or we haven't found them... yet, but this is one I've been making for years. This meatloaf is fantastic, and sure to please even the pickiest of eaters. I rarely will endorse certain products, but there are a few, and I'll let ya know what they are. This is a double batch recipe because it freezes well, and two... well you will see the reason for #2 in a minute.

First the Ingredients:
1 pound of Ground Beef (80/20 is fine.... you don't want it TOO lean.)
1 pound of Ground Pork
1 pound of Ground Turkey
2 Cage Free Eggs (I ONLY use Cage Free... yes they are more expensive, but for me... it is worth the extra cost for happy chickens.)
1 Can of Campbell's Tomato Rice Soup. It's gotta be Campbell's because I have never seen any other brand make it
1 Pack of "Meatloaf" seasoning... (Great Value, McCormick's its all the same.... Season salt with dehydrated onion)
2 good shakes of Worcestershire Sauce
Bread Crumbs as needed

 

Put the Beef, Pork and Turkey in a bowl.



Add the 2 eggs (for COMPLETE novices, you must crack them first... Egg shells are not tasty...) the can of soup, the Meatloaf Seasoning pack, and the 2 shakes of Worcestershire Sauce. Then comes the gross part.... Put your washed hand in the mix and start mixing.  (When I am home, I use a Shortening blender because I HATE touching raw meat. it or an old fashioned Potato Masher should give the same results.) The best way is to take a handful of the mixture and SQUEEZE it. It will come out in between your fingers... thats fine... Next, once things are good and icky, you will start to add bread crumbs with your non-icky hand...

 

Add only a little at first... mix it in, and then keep adding more until it starts to hold its shape.

 

Once you are able to keep it in a ball form it is ready for the pan.
This makes Meatloaf Sliders if you want to call them that, but the plus side, is that they are all end pieces, and PERFECT for little Hawaiian Roll Sandwiches... just put an equal amount of mixture in the Brownie pan, or a second loaf pan (They DO make a "Perfect Meatloaf Pan" which I love, but I just don't have it here...)

   

 Now... If you do not have either the above, a 9X12 Cake pan, metal or glass will work just as fine... make sure your spray your pans with cooking spray to reduce sticking and make clean up easier.

Put in a preheated 350 degree oven, and bake for 90 minutes.

Out should come this...



Serve with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy...

                                                     



Or make Sliders/Sandwiches with the others...

                                                       


I hope you enjoy this... it's one of my favorite meatloaf recipes... I do have another one using oatmeal that is VERY dense, but tastes awesome!

If you have any questions feel free to email me here, or at bearscout05@aol.com

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment